One common failure at our household is my mom’s desperate try to keep calorie levels to a minimum. On certain occasions I urge my mom to give up this futile attempt and go for some rich, flavorful, sumptuous food. A result of one of those attempts was today’s Brinji rice.
I do agree that there’s too much calorie intake with this rice preparation, but I can vouch for this deliciousness, and it’s totally worth the effort and the fat levels 😛
The tempting long grains of Basmati rice gets its flavor from the infusion of coconut milk, and the aroma from the whole spices it is let to cook with.
So, guilt apart, go ahead and make this delectable dish for lunch. Pair it up with an egg gravy or a brinjal curry, and let the eternal union find its peaceful place in your tummies.
- Basmati Rice – 200 gm
- Coconut milk – 350 ml
- Onions (medium sized) – 2 (sliced, not chopped)
- Carrot (small) – 1/2
- Potato (small) – 1
- Green chilies – 5 (vertically slit)
- Mint paste – 2 tsp (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Fennel (saunf) – 1 pinch
- Oil – 3/4 tsp
- Ghee – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom – 2
- Bay leaf – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Soak the rice in water for at least half an hour
- Heat a pressure pan with oil and ghee. Once hot, add all the whole spices, and after it splutters, add onions and salt. saute till onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, whole chilies and fennel. Saute till oil separates out.
- Then add the potatoes and carrots. Close the lid and cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the mint paste (optional) and coconut milk and let it boil for about 3 minutes. Tip in the rice, let it cook and when the rice is seen on the surface, close the lid. Before closing, check for salt.
- Add the weight, and let it cook on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with an eggplant gravy or egg curry.
For the coconut milk, I ground the contents from 1 small sized coconut, added water to the ground coconut, and extracted milk from it. I repeated it twice and the milk with water added amounted to 350 ml.